Firefighter Application Process
The Hardeeville Fire Department is known for aggressive firefighting tactics, proactive fire and life safety education programming, and one of the most efficient extrication departments in the state. We protect and serve residents and visitors through fire prevention activities and emergency responses to fire, EMS, and hazardous materials incidents. If you are interested in helping people and want an exciting career in public service, become a Hardeeville firefighter!
Starting Salary: $37,495 Entry Level, $46,868 Mid-Grade, $49,845 Maximum
$36,098 Certified (Non-negotiable)
EMT Cert: 3% of base salary, Paramedic Bonus $6,000.
Work Hours: 24 Hour-48 Hour Rotating Shifts
Applicants considered for positions will participate in a one-day process consisting of a written test, physical agility test, and oral interview scheduled on an “as needed” basis. For testing details and essential information, all applicants MUST visit City of Hardeeville website employment tab: http://www.hardeevillesc.gov/2199/City-Employment
Applicants selected for hire will perform firefighting, rescue, and emergency medical services. This is accomplished by extinguishing fires, conducting fire and rescue operations, maintain, and inspect fire apparatus and equipment, conducting pre-fire plans, training on firefighting techniques, performing public relations activities, providing life support, and participating in continuing education for state certifications. Other duties include maintaining grounds and facilities, testing equipment, and performing other duties as assigned.
Applicants hired will learn to perform all tasks above through attending classes and participating in rigorous physical training. All applicants selected for hire who do not currently have NREMT-B certification or higher must attain NREMT-B certification to maintain employment.
There will be a physical ability test, written exam, tactical evolution, and oral interview as part of the process.
- Provide emergency medical services as a first responder; evaluate and administer drugs for cardiac, respiratory, allergic conditions and trauma incidents; maintain EMS equipment and supplies.
- Maintain required certifications.
- Perform fire control and rescue operations by entering burning structures, searching for victims and fire sources, extinguishing fires, operating equipment, and apparatus, forcing entry into structures, locating hydrants and other sources of water, and operate hose lines.
- Provide highly specialized rescue services such as swift water rescue, hazardous materials response, and technical rescue.
- Participate in drills, demonstrate consistent and thorough knowledge of specialized areas, and maintain records, logs, and reports.
- Maintain equipment and fire facilities by performing daily preventive maintenance, testing fire equipment, checking hydrants, and performing other duties as assigned.
- Until graduation from the Fire Academy-if applicable, entry level fire recruits and Certified A-EMT personnel will learn to perform all tasks above through attending classes and participating in rigorous physical training.
- This position is critical to emergency operations and will report to work despite or because of an emergency or disaster event
Minimum Qualifications & Experience
Entry Level Fire Recruit
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Valid driver's license
- Must be 18 years of age before offer of employment
- Must obtain NREMT-B certification and maintain throughout employment.
- No DWI/DUI convictions in the last four years.
- No felony convictions.
Lateral Minimum qualifications:
- IFSAC or Pro-Board Firefighter I/II
- NIMS: 100, 200, 700, 800
- Valid Class ‘E” driver’s license or equivalent
- Two years as a full-time firefighter
- EMT, Advanced-EMT, Paramedic
All applicants must meet the following standards:
- Must be 18 years of age, possess a high school diploma or GED, and a valid driver’s license with no suspensions in the last 3 years.
- Submit to employer’s drug and alcohol testing requirements.
- Out of state applicants MUST submit a 10-year driving record with their application.
Starting salary: $37,495-$49,845 depending on qualifications. This does not include regularly scheduled overtime.
*Applications that are not filled out completely, will not be considered*
Applications must be submitted to:
City of Hardeeville
Attn: Deputy Chief
P.O. Box 609
Hardeeville, SC 29927
All applicants considered for employment must submit to a background check and urinalysis screening for illegal drug use prior to offer of employment. The City of Hardeeville is an EOE and E-Verify user